Friday 8 July 2011

Who, What, Where, When and Why

Who: An American expat living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
What: A blog about adjusting to life in Malaysia: what I like and don’t like… where I go… what I do… the experiences I have.
Where: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and Southeast Asia
When: Now
Why: Before moving here, it was hard for me to find accurate information on living in Kuala Lumpur.  Most expat blogs were focused on high-paid individuals who live a separate life from the average Malaysian.  I decided to work at a real Malaysian company, where everyone is from the country – born and raised.  I want to see what it is like to be a Malaysian, getting by on an average salary, eating at local restaurants (and not just the Western franchises), shopping like Malaysian’s shop (going to the flea markets and pasar malams (night markets)), and living where Malaysian’s live (not secluding myself in the high-rise and highly-secluded expat-havens where the guards and doormen ‘make sure’ that the ‘expat’ experience is maintained at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment